Include household income in your student finance application

If you applied for full-time student finance and you only applied for the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan, you can change your application to apply for a higher level of finance.

You can apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and 65 per cent of the Maintenance Loan without having your household income looked at. This means you can apply without your parents or partner having to send in any details of their income.

If you want to get the full Maintenance Loan as well as a Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant, we will assess your household income and base the amount of your loan on that.

Your household income is your parents' or partner's income, plus yours.  Rates for final year students will be different.

The easiest way to apply is online

Sending paper forms through the post takes longer than completing an online application. We've offered these forms for download if you've missed the chance to apply online.

Change your application using a paper form

You need to complete the following form to apply for finance which includes your household income. You can't do this online.

Complete sections 1 and 2 to say if you will get any income during this academic year. 

If you want to apply for Child Care Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance and / or Adult Dependants Grant, complete section 3.

Include household income for an application made in 2014/15

Include household income for an application made in 2013/14

After you change your application - include your parents or partner's income

Your parents or partner may need to send us details of their income from the tax year 2012-13 - ie the tax year which ran from 6 April 2012 to 5 April 2013.

If you've changed your application to include household income they may need to send us a completed PFF2 form.

You need to either apply online or send us a paper form before you send us a PFF2 form - otherwise we won't be able to process your application.

PFF2 form for parents and partners of students applying in 2014/15

If your parents or partners still need to send in evidence for an application you made in academic year 2013/14, please use the form below

PFF2 form for parents and partners of students applying in 2013/14


Re-using current year income financial information

If your parent(s) or partner recently confirmed their income for tax year 2013-14 for a Current Year Income Assessment, we can use this latest financial information to support your 2014/15 application.
Your parent(s) or partner need give us permission to do this by completing and returning the Income Permission Form 2014/15 below:

Income Permission Form 2014/15


Sign and date your forms, then send them to us

Please remember to include the correct postage.

  • Student Finance England
  • PO Box 210
  • Darlington
  • DL1 9HJ

More information about student Finance based on household income

Your household income is the total amount your family earns each year before tax and National Insurance. Household income is usually based on earnings for the previous tax year (2011-12 if you're applying to study in 2013/14).

Whose income is assessed depends on whether you are classified as a dependent or independent student.

Dependent students

If you're a dependent student your income and your parents' income is assessed.  You're classed as a dependent student if you're under 25 years old and depend on your parents' financial support.

Independent students

If you're an independent student your income and your partner's income is assessed.

You're classed as an independent student if:

  • you're 25 or older
  • you have a child
  • you have no living parents
  • you are or have been married or in a civil partnership
  • you've supported yourself for three years
  • you're estranged from your parents

How your household income is assessed

We look at the parents' or partner's income and their circumstances, such as the number of dependents they have. Parents or partners submit details of their income and circumstances, including evidence, so we can work out:

  • the level of student finance you can get
  • the financial contribution parents or partners make towards your finance