Extra Support

The Student Loans Company administers extra support for all eligible undergraduate students who live in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Image supplied courtesy of The University of Hertfordshire © www.herts.ac.uk

Find out about the following undergraduate support:

Parents' Learning Allowance

Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA) is an income assessed grant available to students  who have additional costs arising from the care of a child whilst studying. The child must be dependent on the student, not on the student's partner or a third party. It does not address childcare costs, which are covered with the Childcare Grant instead.

Adult Dependants' Grant

The Adult Dependants' Grant (ADG) is an income assessed grant available to students who have additional costs based on having an adult (aged 18+) who is dependent on them.  The income assessment is  based on the household income and the dependants'.

Childcare Grant

The Childcare Grant is an income assessed reimbursement of up to  85% of childcare costs, subject to a cap depending on whether the student has one or two or more children.  This only applies when the child is in registered and approved childcare.  

Students provide an estimate of their childcare costs at the start of the academic year.  They then need to provide evidence three times a year (at the end of each term) of actual childcare costs for the previous term.  This is used to reassess their entitlement against their estimates.

Students cannot qualify for the Childcare Grant if they are in receipt of the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit.

Travel Grant

Students who study abroad or attend clinical training locations as part of UK institutions' courses can claim reimbursement of their travel costs, subject to a disregard and to income assessment. Students studying abroad must spend at least half of any term abroad in order to be able to claim travel grant.

Disabled Students' Allowances

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) meet a student's additional costs which arise from studying with a disability. If a student is found to be eligible for DSAs, their needs are assessed and documented in a Needs Assessment Report. Depending on the results of the report, undergraduate students may receive financial help for:

  • non-medical helpers (help to pay for support workers so students can benefit fully from their course)
  • specialist equipment (help to buy equipment needed to aid study as a result of a disability)
  • general expenses (helps to pay other disability related costs for studying)
  • travel (help with extra travel costs a student may have due to a disability)

All of these categories are capped except for travel. A student cannot receive DSAs to pay for costs to do with general living which they would need to pay for if they were not a student, or for costs that able-bodied students must meet.

Find out more information about all the extra support in our student zone area.