Products and Services

We undertake the administration and processing involved in the payment of loans and grants to students, and the payment of tuition fees to higher and further education institutions.

England, Northern Ireland and Wales

We provide:

  • Main support for full-time students: We pay loans and grants for maintenance support, some of which may depend on people's individual circumstances
  • Tuition fees and supplementary grants: We provide loans for tuition fees, paying the money directly to universities and colleges on behalf of students who apply for this support. We also administer a number of supplementary grants.
  • Dependants' grants for full-time students: Special grants and allowances may be available for full-time students who have dependants and need help with extra costs while they're studying. These are the Adult Dependants' Grant, the Parents' Learning Allowance and the Childcare Grant.
  • Travel Grant: We pay grants to help cover the cost of travel for people studying abroad and also for people on clinical training for medical or dentistry courses.
  • Disabled students' allowance: We pay disability allowances for eligible students, whether they are full-time, part-time, distance learning or postgraduate.
  • Support for part-time students: We pay grants to help part-time students with their tuition fees and course costs; these depend on household income.
  • Support for postgraduate students: We fund eligible students for full time, part time and flexible post graduate courses leading to the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
  • Bursaries and scholarships: We administer bursaries and scholarships on behalf over more than 160 institutions across England, Northern Ireland and Wales through the Bursaries Administration Service. This includes assessment and payment of awards to students on behalf of each institution.


  • Main support for full-time students: The Student Awards Agency Scotland assesses students and pays loans, grants and bursaries to those who are eligible. We pay this support as identified in the student award assessment.

Northern Ireland and Wales

  • Support for school pupils and college students: We administer the Education Maintenance Allowance (payments made to eligible people who stay in education beyond the age of 16) in Wales and Northern Ireland. We also pay grants to eligible mature further education students at colleges in Wales.

European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA)

Students from EU and EEA countries are not eligible for general maintenance or any other more specific statutory support. We do, however, pay loans and grants for tuition fees to students from EU and EEA countries. These are repayable once the person has left higher education.