Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with the service we have provided please let us know as soon as possible. We will do our best to put things right.

When things go wrong

Most problems can be put right quickly by phoning us and speaking to one of our dedicated advisors. You can find the number for your service on our contact page.

If we are unable to resolve your concerns, you may wish to follow our formal complaints procedure, set out in the document How to make a complaint.

Registering a formal complaint

You can register a formal complaint by:
Telephone: 0300 100 0601

When registering your complaint by email you can complete the Online Customer Complaint form and attach it to your email.

You can use the form to:

  • Register a new formal complaint.
  • Check on the progress of a previously registered complaint.
  • Escalate a previously registered complaint; if you've already had a response from our Customer Relations Unit and are unhappy with that response.


If you would prefer to make a complaint in writing, please address your letter to:

Customer Relations Unit
Student Loans Company
100 Bothwell Street
G2 7JD

What we will do

Step 1

We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days of receiving it.

Step 2

Our dedicated team will investigate your complaint and provide a response within 15 working days of receipt. If we are experiencing any delay we will keep you informed.

Step 3

We aim to resolve all complaints in our first response however, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation you can ask for a Senior Manager to review your complaint. Please confirm why you remain dissatisfied to help us resolve any outstanding issues you may have. The Senior Manager will respond in writing within 15 working days of this request.

Step 4

If you are not satisfied with the response from the Senior Manager and your complaint remains unresolved, you can ask for it to be escalated to an Independent Assessor. Independent reviews are carried out by one of the Independent Assessors appointed by the Department for Education.

Appealing against a funding decision made by Student Finance England

The following guidance is only for those students who have applied through Student Finance England and who are considering an appeal against a decision on their funding: